Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Stewart Letter #30



                                                                                                                         25 March 19461
Dear Mom:

I just got your Valentine and note of the 12 of Feb. Of course I have already received your letter of the 27, and Larry's of the 10 of March. I believe that my letters should come through regularly now, and my address won't change when I transfer to the Medics,because their mail comes in at H/S Co orderly room anyway. Thanks for the Daily Devotions3. I can get copies of the Linkthrough the chaplain.

We sent fifteen men out today to other units preparing to ship home. Men with 40 points or more, or 30 months service or more. Two-year men will be eligible for redeployment before 30 June 1946. After that, two-year men will continue to be discharged, and if enlistments in the regular army and draftees permit, the length of service will be shortened. My service in the reserve doesn't count except for longevity pay, which means that if I am still in the army on 27 Oct 1947, I will get five percent (5%) more pay every month. However, I hope to be out before then.

You might send my Kodak, but I doubt that I could get any film for it. About all the film that I have seen has been 120. One can get film developed here quick enough at one of the local photographer's shops.

I got your letter of the 25 of Feb two days ago but it seems that the one of the 27 beat it and the one of the twelfth.

I'm not sure exactly where this letter was sent. Were mother and I back in Minneapolis or were we still in Morganfield, KY or were we in transit? This was a chaotic time. Dad was discharged about this time, and we did go back to Minneapolis - we still owned a home there - but Dad almost immediately went to Chicago to take courses in Sociology at the U of C under the GI bill.

I don't know what this refers to. Maybe in his boredom, Stewart decided to request a transfer to a unit where there was more activity..If so, I don't think it ever happened.

This was a little booklet published by the Congregational - Christian denomination. It consisted of a daily scripture reading, a short meditation and a prayer. It was authored by various clergy and others. Dad had a few of his published in it one year in the early 1950s.

This must refer to some other religious publication. If so, it has left no trace on the internet.


page1image23088

I drew a watch in the PX last Saturday. It cost $9.25, has a sweep second hand, radial dial, luminous hand and Roman Numeral figures. The trade name is Minerva5, and it says on the face that it is waterproof, shock absorbent and antimagnetic. Just for curiosity's sake, I would like to know if any watches with that description are being sold, and for what price. Don't go to any special trouble, however. I don't know whether it has any jewels or not. My watch that dad gave me is still running and keeping good time.


A Minerva watch of about the same vintage as Stewart's


We have had a different chaplain for the third Sunday in a row, and we are expecting to lose the present one. It seems that as soon as we get a new one, he ships out for home. Anyway, we get a variety of ideas in the sermons.

I am following all events in the newspaper with interest, especially concerning the draft and its continuance. I don't want to stay in the army too long, although there isn't much danger of that for some time yet. I don't want the US to have to give up any of its promises concerning occupation, and yet I want the draft managed fairly, so that fathers and older men who have been in the service for some time can get out. Also, I do not really believe that 18-year-olds should continue to be drafted. The Russian disputes are also interesting, for we are about 25 miles from the Russian zone.

The thing that makes being in this unit really nice is the fact that we are not actually occupation troops, but merely serving the occupation troops.That does not mean, however, that we do not work, because a lot of supplies have to be hauled and some roads will have to be built this summer. We get good chow, however, and we lead a more informal life than if we had to do much guarding and policing.

I am trying to send two or three letters each week, and I am sending them all air mail, but nevertheless, they may not come through promptly, but never fear, for i am writing just the same.

                                                                Your loving son, 

                                                                            Stewart

P.S. Be sure to tell me in case Daddy goes to Chicago.


This was a Swiss watch company. Minerva watches are on sale on eBay today for $1000s but this was a mass market watch. $9.25 is about $120 in today's dollars. It would be interesting to know what this watch would sell for today on eBay. I have no idea whether it still exists.

page2image20064





No comments:

Post a Comment