Sunday, January 10, 2021

The Loss of a Friend

I learned that Luther Durgin, whom I have known since 1956, died on December 15th and his memorial service was held yesterday in Pittsfield, MA and "Live-streamed." I learned of the service too late to watch it live but was able to watch it on YouTube after the fact. Luther followed me after my summer as the pastor of the Dummerston Church in 1956, and then I followed him when I returned after graduation from seminary in June, 1957 and became the regular pastor in Dummerston and also the Assistant Pastor of Centre Congregational Church in Brattleboro. He served the South Church, UCC, in Pittsfield for 12 years in the '70's. After his retirement, Luther and his wife, Diane, lived in Winchester, NH and Ellen and I visited them there, and also occasionally met them for lunch in Brattleboro. They attended the 60th anniversary of my ordination in Dummerston back in October of 2017. About a year ago, they moved to Lenox, MA, and we had every intention of visiting them there, but the pandemic made that unwise. Now he is gone. He was a wise and gentle man whom I enjoyed talking with. We're hoping to visit Diane when we are able to do so safely - maybe when we are all vaccinated. 


The Rev. Dr. Luther Durgin




No comments:

Post a Comment