Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Getting things done

I'm at Pete's Tire Barn in Chesterfield, NH, waiting to have snow tires mounted on our Subaru. We have all-wheel drive, but the tires on the car are not all-weather tires, they are very much summer tires. We got through last winter with them, but there were times we wished we had better traction, so this winter we're putting on snow tires. Not that we are driving that much these days, but you never know when you might need that extra security. They won't be studded - that would be overkill. Pete's allows only two people in the waiting room at a time, and right now there is another person, but we are 12-15 feet apart, both wearing masks, and no one is talking. Should be pretty safe.

Yesterday I made several calls on my TO DO list. One was to make arrangements to change our propane gas supplier. I learned from John a while back that he pays much less per gallon for their propane than we have been paying - about $1.50 less.  That is a big difference. So I called his supplier yesterday and made arrangements to switch over to them. It isn't simple. They have to check out my whole system, then pull out my tank, put in their own tank, and then I have to contact my old supplier, have them come get the old tank and send me a rebate for the gas left in it. I hope there will be no glitches in any of that. But once it's done, I'll save $120 or so every time I have the tank filled. I don't understand why there is such a difference in price. It's not like gasoline, obviously. 

Yesterday I also sent out about 20 Christmas cards and letters. I'm running late, but better late than never, I guess. I still have about ten more to do. I make my own cards by re-cycling old cards - cutting off covers of old cards I really like and gluing them onto card stock. For some reason I really enjoy doing that and find it very satisfying. As my kids used to say when they were young, "You're weird, dad."  They were probably right! Here are two cards I made:

This card is made from a photograph made by Sarah van Keuren - really beautiful!

I love this card!

This morning, before coming to Pete's, I made a bass track video of the Epiphany hymn, Arise and Greet the Morning Star. It took a few attempts to get it acceptable, and there were some technical glitches.This time, Andy Davis used a Dropbox link to send us the scratch tracks we follow when we sing and make the video. We listen with ear buds using the iPhone 4s, and record using the iPhone 6s. Well, the iPhone 4s could not open the Dropbox link. It's operating system isn't recent enough to recognize the Dropbox app. So I had to call Andy and have him send the scratch track attached to an email. The 4s can handle that.

There is more to report, but the tires are ready!


The rather austere waiting-room at Pete's. The other person left. 

No comments:

Post a Comment