Thursday, June 25, 2020

Stewart Letter #22

My brother, Stewart, passed away on January 23, 2013, at age 85. I can't believe it has been over seven years! It feels like a short time ago. I'm publishing Letter #22 today, a few days earlier than it was written, because today is his birthday, and he was in  the hospital in Brookings, SD with pneumonia on his eighteenth birthday - see note #2.  Eighteen was an important birthday because it marked his eligibility for entry into the army proper. Later in the summer, he will leave Brookings for Fort Leavenworth, and then Camp Fannin, TX, where he will enter Basic Training. But by then, the war will be over!
                                                                 
                                                                    LETTER #22

-->
29 June, 1945

Dear Mother,

            I  have been in the Brookings  Municipal Hospital since 19 June now, and Dr. Miller says  that I can get out the 2nd of July (next Monday).  My temperature was  103.4  until afternoon of 21 June, when it rose to 104. Then it started to come down slowly until it was normal this morning.  Rev. Tennis (Lennis?), pastor of the 1st Pres. Church, where I sing in the choir, has visited me three times. Mr. Hubbard, the Red Cross man, visits two or three times each day, bringing books, candy, gum, or ice cream. He furnished this stationery also. The only things I regret are missing the chance to go home, and missing so much work.  Now I will have to work hard all the time and every weekend until the end of the term, because I would not want to have to stay here on furlough time making up work. I have not been alone, for two other AST boys had the same ailment and were placed in my room.  One left 26 June, and the other left today.  The weather has been beautiful ever since I became sick, which seems rather ironical.

            The "This Is the Infantry" show[1] stopped here, and most of the company marched to the college football field, where the exhibition was held. Each of the men participating in it has been overseas at least two years. While they were here they stayed in our barracks, and their trucks were parked in front.  It really began to look like a military establishment.

            The hospital is right across the street from the barracks, so the corporal, and sometimes Lt. Coppock comes over every once in a while to see the men in the hospital. The service here is very different from a military hospital, of course.  Since there are not
                                                           
                                                            Page 2

as many patients, the nurses can do much more for each patient. I've never had so many backrubs in my life before.

            I feel pretty good, but I do feel that I will be weak for several weeks to come.  However, the doctor will not send me back to classes right away when I go back to the barracks. I will be in quarters for a while, and then I shall go to classes, but not to P.T. and military training.[2]

            Incidentally, the day the day before I went to the hospital, I went through an obstacle course in a military class. It's a very good  course, and should help prepare us for basic. About two weeks ago we ran three miles on country roads for P.T. My wind is still rather undeveloped, partly because of my inactivity when my leg was broken.

            We lost Dr. Scott, our geog prof, because he goes to school every three summers, and this summer he is going to the U.of M., so I would like to get in touch with him when I come home July 28th. I also want to get an appointment  at the dental clinic, because I'm getting tired of eating on one side all the time.

            Don't work too hard yourself so that you can keep up your resistance. Don't worry about me, because I'm getting well.

                                                                        Your loving son,
                                                                                    Stewart

                    
First Presbyterian Church,  Brookings, SD, where Stewart says he sang in the choir



[1] I haven't been able to find anything definite online about this. I can't tell if it was a stage production or some kind of exhibition. There is a video in the National Archives with this title which gives a history of the U.S. Army Infantry, but I have no idea if there is any connection between the two. 

[2] Stewart talked about this period of this life in the taped conversations I had with him - revealing that his illness was more serious than he was letting on to mother:

             While I was there in South Dakota, I was hospitalized with pneumonia. If I hadn't been in the service, in all likelihood I would have died, because they could not get my fever down with alcohol rubs and they didn't have penicillin in that hospital because it wasn't available yet to civilians, and that was a civilian hospital. But because I was in the service, after nine days of my wasting away with this fever, they finally got some penicillin into me and in two days I was over it. But I was so weak after all that I could barely walk across the street to my dorm. So they didn't require me to go back to class for a whole week, until I got my strength back, and I didn't have to take P.E. for two weeks. When I got back to class there were only three weeks left in the quarter and I had missed three weeks. But since I had already taken that quarter, it wasn't too bad. So I finished on July 28th, and then I had a furlough before going on active duty--I had reached my eighteenth birthday during that quarter (the rule was that you went on active duty at the end of the quarter in which you reached your eighteenth birthday; they didn't pull you out of school just because you had turned eighteen. I was actually in the hospital on my eighteenth birthday).

No comments:

Post a Comment