Thursday, June 4, 2020

Stewart Letter #21

Just as a reminder: I'm observing the 75th anniversary of my older brother, Stewart's, military service in WW2 by posting annotated copies of his letters to his mom and dad in the years around 1945. I'm up to Letter #21, written to his dad, who was stationed in France as a chaplain in the U.S. Army at that time, May 30, 1945. Since his previous, March 25th letter (#20), Stewart had been moved from Lincoln, NE,  to a new unit in the A.S.T.R.P.  (Army Specialized Training Reserve Program) at Brookings, SD. See the letter below for details.

-->
Letter #21

Ch.(Capt.) Barney C. Crockett                     Pvt. Stewart C. Crockett
1314 Engrs.  A.P.O. 513______                   ASN 17183138__Co.B_ASTRP   
c/o  P.M.  New York, N.Y._____                   Box 217, Brookings, S. Dak[1]
                                                                                    30 May   45
Dear Dad,

I have finally decided to stay in the A.S.T.R.P.  When I was at the Lincoln Air Base Hospital, I felt very bitter, because I had missed finishing the second term just because the doctor at student health thought that I had gonorrhea.[2]  And then when I had to stay there for two weeks because they seemed to forget about me for a week, I was very disturbed. Not until I talked to the commandant here, Captain Olson, did I have any argument against leaving. He said that if he were my father, he would not give his consent for my release. Then after I had sent the release papers home to mother, and she had sent them back, Sergeant Treacy (?) talked to me about the choices I would have in basic if I quit now. After thinking it all over, I decided to stay. 

This post is very different from Lincoln. The barracks are located in a men's dormitory, with two to a room, two latrines to a floor, and innerspring mattresses. My roommate is a Methodist Chaplain's son who formerly lived in Pittsburg but now makes his home in Colorado Springs, south of Denver. We have separate closets and separate drawers for everything.[3] I believe also that I shall be able to learn something even though I am taking the second term over again. However, I would have liked to go to Lansing, Michigan, for a third term with my buddies from Lincoln.

Page 2 (cont.)

I can understand the analytical geometry much better now, and also the electricity in physics.[4]  We do quite a bit of homework in all our classes, too, and that is something which we didn't do at Lincoln.  We also write themes in English regularly, while we had to write only one or two during the whole term at Nebraska. Our P.T.  here is Monday, Wednesday, Friday, which is regular compared to our schedule at  Lincoln. Also we have two hours of military training three times a week, while at Lincoln, we had only three hours on Saturday afternoon.  We are off at 1200 Saturday here.[5]
             I was home for 60 hours at the end of April. The unit at Lincoln was closed, and we could not leave until the Monday after the end of classes. On Monday afternoon, we carried one hundred double-decker beds with pillows and mattresses over three blocks to the Nebraska field-house, because they had been sold to the university earlier in the day. I was home also last weekend for a day. I hitchhiked from here through Mankato, and made it in nine hours. That is very good, considering that the distance is 220 miles, and that I only made 30 of them during the first three hours.
            I am feeling well,[6]  and looking forward to the end of the term, when I can be home for two weeks, and also because I am curious to see what basic training is like.

                                                                        Your son,  Stewart







[1] Quite a bit has happened since Letter #20, dated March 25th.  Stewart was in the hospital twice, causing him to miss a lot of classes, and on top of that, his unit at Lincoln was closed at the end of the second term and sent to Lansing, MI for a third term. But because of his hospitalizations, Stewart was not able to complete the second term, and thus could not go to Lansing for a third term. He was separated from his unit and sent to Brookings, S.D., and South Dakota State University, where another unit was starting the second term, which he then repeated. As he indicates in this letter, all this upset him very much, and he considered pretty seriously leaving the A.S.T.R.P. But he was eventually persuaded to stay. In the memoir I published back in 2007 (Remembering With My Brother Stewart), based on tapes of long conversations we had, Stewart describes these hospitalizations.
"Stewart: While I was there (at Lincoln) I was hospitalized twice, and when they sent us to a hospital, it was at the Lincoln Army Air Base, outside of town. The first time, I had "acute nasal pharyngitis."[1] I was just plugging along and the commanding officer decided I was too sick and needed attention, so they sent me out there.
Larry: What were the symptoms?
Stewart: It was like a sore throat. But it was the pharynx, not the larynx. I remember the way they treated it then, they would take a canister that had a hole in the bottom, with an attached rubber hose; you would fill that with warm salt water and get over a tub and spray that salt water against the back of your throat several times a day--as hot as you could stand it. That was the basic treatment. And it worked! It wasn't quite the same as gargling. You would spray it in and it would run out of your mouth."
[2] In the above-mentioned book, Stewart describes this in detail also, but it's so personal that I will not duplicate that here. Suffice it to say, the army doctors acted pretty stupidly before they realized their error.
[3] This is a significant  improvement over Lincoln. There, the unit was housed in the newly constructed  Love Memorial Library, which of course was never intended to be used as a dormitory. Scores of bunks had been set up in a large reading room, there was no privacy, virtually no room for personal belongings and very limited toilet facilities.
[4] Stewart is now commenting on new courses he is taking at South Dakota State University.
[5] It seems pretty clear that Stewart is happier with the situation at Brookings than he was at Lincoln.
[6] Unfortunately, Stewart got pneumonia before the term was over!

The campus of SDSU

No comments:

Post a Comment