Thursday, January 12, 2023

Lazy

This morning I'm being very lazy. I was going to meet Peter Amidon for breakfast at Chelsea Diner at 9am, but it is snowing and we decided to postpone to next week. Yesterday was a full day with the Bible Study group, and we have the heat in the bedroom and it's very cozy, and Ellen is reading in bed, so I stayed in bed and did the three word games: Wordle, Quordle and Spelling Bee. That's very relaxing. If the snow turns to rain, which is forecast, we may go to Northampton late afternoon to a Northamptone concert Tamar is in. I have a bunch of cards to get in the mail. Right now, I should eat something. One new thing: I have a new toy - A fitness watch. I got it real cheap: $40. It takes blood pressure, temperature. blood oxygen level, heart rate, keeps track of how many steps you take and how well you sleep! I'm still figuring it out.
The fitness watch.
Ellen just took care of my need for food! Lucky me! ******************
This was a good week in one important way - Paul got test results back from an MRI- no cancer. An earlier CAT scan had shown ambiguous growths. They are benign. That is a great relief. Now if he can resolve some work-related worries, his life will be better. The past few months have been difficult. We have a funeral at Dummerston Church on Saturday. John Wilcox was a lovely man who was Treasurer for years and used to sing in the choir. For several years now he has had many health crises and has been in and out of the hospital many times. A group of us sang for him before Christmas. But his body finally gave out. The choir will be singing two pieces: "Over the Rainbow" and "Be Still My Soul," which is set to the tune FINLANDIA, a favorite of John's. In fact, he left instructions that he wanted three orchestral pieces played before the service: "Finlandia," by Jean Sibelius; a movement from Beethoven's 7th Symphony; and Barber's "Adagio for Strings." His son sent three links for these pieces on Spotify. No one in the church seemed to know what to do with them. So I downloaded Spotify and got them on my laptop. Tomorrow, I'm meeting Shawn at 10am at the church to practice playing them through the sound system.
John with our singing group
A portrait of John.*********************
By complete serendipity, Calvin Farwell, who is in the group above, ended up being in the same church as John Wilcox, singing in the choir together. They were both students at St. Paul's School in Concord, NH back in the 1950's - John was the proctor in Calvin's dorm his freshman year.

No comments:

Post a Comment