Sunday, January 29, 2023

A different sort of Sunday morning

Today has started unlike most Sundays. First of all, I made my breakfast last night because I knew that time would be in short supply this morning. So I had a smooothie all set to go in the frig this morning, plus a glass with cereal in it. The reason for this is that Ellen went to Guilford this morning, and she was picking up Calvin at 8:10a.m., because she was also picking up Nancy Tierra, after Calvin. Meanwhile, I have to be in Dummerston for a Music Committee meeting this morning. We were going in two different directions. So she had to bring me to the Dummerston church early - 8:00a.m. - so that she could pick up Calvin at 8:10 a.m. That meant being ready to go by 7:50 at the latest! And I was. So I've been here at the church since 8:00, eating my breakfast and using WiFi. Here is the view from my chair:
Amazingly, I have not been alone. There was a Deacon's Dinner here at the church last evening - we actually picked up two dinners as a take-out ourselves. There were something like 60 people here for dinner. This is put on by the church for the community, free of charge. And the key person who does most of the work on it is James Brown. James has been here since 6 a.m. this morning, cleaning up. Amazing! A lot of things used for the dinner are borrowed from the Grange across the street - things like roasters and big pans. Those all had to go back to the Grange. And a lot of tidying up, putting away, cleaning, had to be done here at the church - feeding 60 plus people is no small task. There are some really hard workers in this church, and James is one of them. So he has been busyh since 6a.m., so that all would be in apple pie order for church coffee hour which is held in this same space after church this morning. And after coffee hour will be Music Committee. And then Ellen will pick me up on her way home from Guilford. My work on WiFi has been downloading The Voice bible - the Gospel of John. I think that is what we will be using in the Readers' Theater presentation on Ash Wednesday - we decide this Wednesday - and so I need to have the text of that translation on my computer so I can edit it and make it a script. I have only limited data use when I am home and using my iPhone as a personal hot spot so that I can access the internet with my computer. And I am almost out of data and I have almost two weeks to go before the new cycle begins. So it is a big help to come to the church and use Wifi here. I now have the entire Gospel of John in "The Voice" translation on my computer. A good job done. Now I'm going up to church.

No comments:

Post a Comment