Monday, May 16, 2022

A big Test

This morning, I had a medical test that was no ordinary matter -it was a chemically induced stress test. It is designed to show whether there are any blockages in the heart which prevent blood from being fully delivered and thus reduce the efficiency of the heart, causing shortness of breath, which is what I am experiencing. It took about three hours to do the whole test, though probably half of that time I was just sitting and waiting. It involved having a chemical injected into my blood stream, which opens the blood vessals around the heart, much as would happen if I were exercising. Radioactive particles are then put into my blood, and many pictures taken of my heart. It involved maybe 10-15 minutes of some discomfort after the chemical was introduced. But I was closely monitored, both by instruments, and by having a cardiologist constantly asking me how I was doing. It left me a little wiped out, so I have taken it easy after coming home. However, John came over and we had a good talk. He also tried to see if he could fix a problem with my computer, but it proved to be too complicated. While he was here I got results on the phone from Dr. van Dyke. My heart is functioning fine, but I had A-fib. So that may be the issue. More tests!
Brattleboro Memorial Hospital, the Richards building where I had my stress test. Ellen took me and brought me home. It pretty much took up the entire morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment