Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Stewart Letter #29

                                                                    Homberg, Germany

                                                                                                                            Feb 22, 1946

Dear Dad,

I took CQtoday because it counts as a Sunday, and I don't want to miss a Sunday unless I really have to.Since it is Washington's Birthday, the battalion is taking a day off, but someone has to stay here and answer the phone. It isn't bad. because there is a coal stove and a radio, and a few magazines to read to pass away the time. I came here at 0600 this morning and will leave at 2200 tonight.3

A movie is shown each Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday evenings at 1830 in the theater, which is part of the building in which I have my cot. In the same building is the PX, barber shop, and Protestant Chapel. I haven't seen the chaplain yet, because he didn't get here for last Sunday's service.

My duties are practically nil at the moment, because there are more than enough personnel in the personnel office at present, although by June 30 almost everyone except us new replacements will be gone. Most of our wrk is connected with putting information on the service record. Also, reports must be sent in each day to Div. Hq.

I haven't been issued an ETO jacket, overshoes, an extra pair of combat boots, or the insignia that goes on this division's uniform. The supply room did not have on hand a jacket with a sleeve long enough, or footwear large enough for me. I will not suffer, however, for I do not have to spend very much time outdoors. We have close order drill with rifle and cartridge belt Wednesday and Friday mornings. Last Wednesday, however, some ran fell, so the drill was cancelled. We pull guard about once a month, since there are only three posts to guard. An inspection is held every Saturday morning, and we get the afternoon off. Wednesday afternoon, however, we do not get off. We had a good snowstorm two days ago, and it (has) started to melt, but last night some more fell, so that now there is about four inches of snow on the ground. The air however, is quite warm and I do not think it will stay long.

I'm not doing much exercising, and yet I am eating well. The other day, a fellow shot three large deer, the largest weighing above 300 pounds. Two were used by the mess hall, and we had deer steak and hamburgers a la venison. The milk is, I believe, powdered, but perfectly all right for breakfast cereal. We get plenty of canned fruit and vegetables, and fresh potatoes.

CQ means Charge of Quarters.

This sentence isn't clear to me. I don't know what "missing a Sunday" means.

14 hours with nothing to do!


page1image24296

Homberg is located between Marburg and Kassel. The whole 10 Engr Combat Bn is stationed here, but each company has its own mess. The Red Cross Club fresh doughnuts and coffee all the time, and one can also listen to the radio, play games, ping-pong, or write letters.

Homberg, Germany today - maybe it looked like this in 1946

Statue of  Landgraf Phillip der Grossmütige (1504-1567) in Homberg - Phillip was an important Protestant ruler in Germany. He was actually present as a 17-year-old at the Diet of Worms when Luther made his stand and was excommunicated. 

There is a dry-cleaning plant here, operated by GI's, and one can get his clothes washed by German women.

The only news we get is over the radio and in the. Stars and Stripes, which comes out every day (Germany edition), just as you said when you were over here.

This winter weather serves only to remind me of home, and since I can't keep busy enough to keep from thinking about it, I am beginning to be a little homesick. I won't let it make me feel too bad, however, for this is still a new experience to me. Two-year men are being considered for discharge now, so maybe they will get down to 18 months by next year at this time, when I will have that much time on active duty.

After going through 17 weeks of training which was completely new to me, this is pretty dull, however.. Sometimes I wish that I could have been in combat as an infantryman, although I realize that it would have been an awful experience, and perhaps fatal.4

I am still undecided as to what I want to specialize in when I start in college, although I am certain that I will take advantage of the GI Bill of Rights when I am discharged. Perhaps I will be able to decide before I come home.

I must finish this letter now, since it is 2200, and I must get my night's sleep. 


                                                                Your faithful son,

                                                            Stewart

page2image15896

I guess the basic message of this letter is that Stewart is bored. He must have been pretty bored to have even considered being an infantryman in combat! Since he had so much time on his hands, I don't understand why we don't have more letters from him during this period in Germany. We only have five or so for the whole year he was there. Maybe some were not saved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment