Thursday, August 2, 2018

Max discovers Abbot & Costello

This morning Max wanted me to watch The Three Stooges with him, and he obviously loved the slapstick comedy. When I was his age, I loved slapstick too, and my favorites were Abbot & Costello. I saw every movie they made in the 1940s (no TV then). So I asked him if he had ever seen the Who's On First? routine, and he hadn't. So of course we immediately found it on YouTube and watched it. He loved it. It really is an amazing routine, and very funny. So then I remembered that when I was 10, I went to see their movie Hit the Ice again and  again - at least four times, maybe more. Movies were cheap then. Just for fun I checked YouTube and voila! - the whole movie is there. So we watched it together. I even remembered some of the lines from it (e.g., Costello, threatening with bravado a mobster:  "This gun shoots bullets five miles and throws rocks the rest of the way."

Abbot and Costello

The last two days have been pretty quiet, after our full weekend plus Monday of activity.  Max had Ayden over yesterday and they went swimming at the Star Valley Pool. I've been basically working on the computer here at the house, helping with cleaning up, etc. Tuesday, I took the car to the car wash and vacuumed it out and cleaned it up - esp. all the dead bugs plastered on the front bumper. Wednesday, Ellen  and I went to Thayne where I checked out the new supermarket and got some things at the pharmacy. It's been that sort of days.

Oh, the other ritual here at the condo has been that most mornings, Max watches an episode or two of Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. He loves Fred Rogers. I guess all the episodes of MRN are on YouTube. It's amazing. It is a very sweet program which I had only seen a few episodes of before now. It was not a regular in our house when our kids were small. Captain Kangaroo was.

Fred Rogers

No comments:

Post a Comment