Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Amherst

Savanna is doing pretty well, and we are sort of helping out as she recuperates at home. So we are based in Shutesbury with a little side trips. We took one of those side trips yesterday when we went up to Walpole, New Hampshire, to meet with a loan officer at the Walpole savings bank, along with John & Cynthia. We learned there about an interest-only home-equity loan at just 2.9% interest. Pretty good deal.

After the bank meeting, the four of us went to a local watering place, Allen Brothers, and we had coffee and a doughnut, and we talked a long time. By the time we got to the end of our conversation, we had pretty well talked our way out of making an offer on the house in Wethersfield. Just too expensive, to big a project to take on, too stressful, too scary, etc. That despite its many charms and it's emotional impact on us, especially John. As he put it, he had fallen in love. Also growing out of our conversation, was the possibility of building an addition on John and Cynthia's present house where Ellen and I could live, and we would have sort of a communal life together, in which John and Cynthia would have some responsibility for looking out for me. That seems really worth exploring, and of course would depend on our being able to sell our house. So I guess that's the next thing that needs to happen. Lots to do!

But today, I'm taking a break from all of that, and I'm at the Amherst College library doing some research on my dissertation project. Specifically I'm looking at the interpretation of some texts in the Dead Sea Scrolls community's archive which relate to a key theme of my dissertation. Most of that was not available to me back in 1966, but has attracted a great deal of attention since. The library here has all of the Dead Ses Scrolls materials in Hebrew, Aramaic and English translation, so I can photograph relevant passages and have them to refer to on my computer. And I can track down scholarly articles that discuss those materials. Very satisfying.

The students are pretty much back here in Amherst and a great deal of activity was going on on the green in front of the library.

      Opening of the fall semester at AC

No comments:

Post a Comment