Thursday, April 11, 2024

A new development

Tuesday evening after River Singers rehearsal, which I got through just fine, I was sitting in the car waiting for Ellen and I was aware that my ribs were just a little bit sore, and I was massaging my ribs in the sore area, when suddenly I felt something sort of snap, and suddenly felt a very sharp pain - much sharper than anything I had felt since I fell against the stove about 9-10 days ago. That pain did not go away. Suddenly, I was virtually incapacitated by pain. When I got home, I could not get out of the car unassisted. We debated what to do? Should I go to the ER? I hated the very idea of it, knowing how long one can wait. I decided to get into bed without getting undressed, and I found I could lie on my back and be reasonably comfortable, and actually dozed off (Ellen read aloud, which helped), but that didn't last too long. I had to get up a couple of times during the night, and that was agony. Wednesday I called Dr. van Dyck and she ordered an X-ray, so we managed to get to radiology at the hospital (not the ER!), and I used a wheelchair there, which helped a bit. Then we went to see Dr. van Dyck afterward. She hadn't gotten the X-rays yet - we learned later they showed no sign of a fracture - but she prescribed a stronger pain med (delayed - Walgreens was out of stock), and so we are sort of in a holding pattern at the moment. The pain seems less intense today, but I can't imagine what is causing it. It is sort of mysterious. I guess with ribs, you just have to be patient. Coughing is particularly painful, so I try not to cough, but it is impossible never to cough, especially when you have as much phlegm as I do. I can sit and read, etc., but it is not good to be so inactive. Tomorrow is John's birthday. I hope he can at least come over for a visit, and that I will be good company! As the old joke puts it, "Patience, jackass, patience!"
We had John and Cynthia over for supper earlier this week and Ellen made souffles - delicious and beautiful.
A Cynthia eclipse photo - stunning.

No comments:

Post a Comment