Friday, July 7, 2023

Trying to keep cool!

We are having a heat wave. It's nothing like the Southwest U.S., but it is in the high 80's and low 90's, with high humdity. Yesterday I stayed home at the house in Shutesbury, and I was hot! There is no air conditio ning there. There was a little air movement on the screened porch, but not much. Inside it felt pretty warm. I ended up just staying quiet and not trying to do anything physically or mentally. I fixed my lunch, cleaned up the kitchen, made the bed, stuff like that. So not much to report there. Today, John and Cynthia came down to Amherst! We met at the Amherst College Library. Ellen dropped me off just as they were arriving. We came inside where it was cool, and sat in the cafe area and talked for a while (the cafe in the Library is closed during the summer). Two prospective student tour groups came through while we were sitting there. Then Cynthia got the car, she picked me and John up out in front of the Library, and we looked for a place to eat lunch. We saw an Indian place, but it turned out not to have air conditioning, so we went next door, to the Black SHeep Cafe, which turned out to be cool and to have gluten-free sandwiches, something John could eat. It's a bit pricey, but it was my treat, and actuallly not that different in price from everywhere else these days. So we had a good lunch, a good visit, and they brought me back to the Library which is where I am now. Ellen will pick me up here in about 2 1/2 hours - and I'll be comfortable that whole time. While J&C were here, I didn't think to take a single picture! But here's something anyway:
The Black Sheep Cafe
We sat at just this table - but those other people weren't there.
My spot in the AC Library.
A portrait of Robert Frost as a young man. In the Frost Library at AC.

No comments:

Post a Comment