Friday, October 4, 2019

Stewart Letters #11 and #12

-->
 Letter #11:

October 4, 1944

Dear Dad,

            Your letters take ten days on the average to reach us. Considering everything, that is good time.[i]  On the contrary, I'm afraid that our mail to you does not have such luck.[ii] The fact that our address remains the same probably figures in the final reckoning. I always address my letters to you with the latest APO address we have received. Consequently, I suspect, some letters did not bear the actual APO at the time.

            At the present, I am waiting to hear the verdict on my lower left five (lower jaw, left side, fifth from the front). I went to the School of Dentistry yesterday, since it was the first day of classes, and I was examined first, and then the student started work on the tooth. The original filling had broken off the tooth, and it just needed a little prying to come out completely. There was decay underneath where the filling had been, and it had gone down into the pulp. The student said that if he didn't take away the decay, he couldn't save the tooth, but that if he took away much of the pulp, he couldn't save it either. But, however, he took away some of the decay and filled the cavity with cement, and I am to come back tomorrow for the verdict. If it hurts me much by tomorrow at 2 P. M., he will either desensitize the tooth or extract it.[iii]

            Also, I am waiting for October 23, for that is when I can be examined for the ERC. If I pass this time, I will start at whatever college the army designates on Nov 5. As I said before, tuition, room, board, books, uniform and medical care are furnished, but no pay, free mailing privileges or railroad furlough rates. Extra beside the regular college course is about five hours a week each of military and physical training. Thus, it will not be too big a change when I am eighteen, to live a hard physical life with only other young men, and there will be only other young men because it has been officially announced that in the next year, eighteen-year-olds will furnish all the needed manpower, that is, a major portion of it, the rest being twenty and under. So, until then, I am leading a static existence, since all I can do is odd jobs around the house, read, and rest. I cannot help but think how nice it would have been if I had (not)[iv]  broken my leg last March, and had known about this program when I graduated from high school. I would have been able to start college on July 5, since one starts on the beginning of the month after he passes his physical. As it is, I shall still receive three twelve-week terms, although I will be eighteen in the middle of the third term. A student is allowed, in this program, to finish the term in which he becomes eighteen. There are periods of one week between the terms during which the student can either return home at his own expense or remain at the college at the government's expense.[v]

            Last Saturday, I stepped on an old rusty nail pointing upward from its position in a block of wood.[vi] I washed it off good with alcohol and then cauterized it with iodine, at the advice of Dr. Homer Smith.[vii]  Then I went down to him and he gave me the anti-tetanus shot to make sure that I would not incur that dangerous infection. Yesterday, I could already walk normally without pain, and the puncture is healing nicely, suggesting that my repairing organisms are not under par.

                                                (continued on page 2)

            Unless the Allies in France undertake a gigantically successful campaign in the next few weeks, all hope, outside of something unexpected, of defeating Ger-many in '44 is gone. The Russians have had such successful experience in winter fighting on a long, tough front, but they have not offered any of their military leaders and personnel to help us. But whether even this is true or not remains to be seen. The role of all those in (the) continental U.S.A. except "duly constituted authorities," is that of almost an outsider observer as far as speculation goes. Otherwise, we must carry on as though the war were going to last past our lifetimes, and thus put our whole energy into the task immediately before us. Even if this admonition were told to all, however, it would fall on many deaf ears, I am afraid.[viii]

            Since I have not yet attained my maturity, therefore, I am not going to worry about these things as impossible to remedy, since I am not sure that I cannot learn the means of remedying the situation. Education continues throughout life, of course, but most of it (after earning a degree and learning how to live in a community and succeed at one's job) is filling in the details. It is the major ideas that I am out for now. The immensity of information and knowledge that has already been accumulated, and that which has not yet been found, sometimes staggers the imagination to the point where one feels that he cannot possibly learn enough to be of any use in society. However, extended thought on such a plane is not healthy for one, and therefore I shall not become deluded on account of it.[ix]

                                    Until my next letter, then, I am your
                                                loving son,
                                                                        Stewart


[i] Unfortunately, the letters that dad was sending back at this time have not survived.
[ii] This is actually not the case. Dad wrote on this letter that he received it on October 13th, nine days after it was dated.
[iii] ­I sort of shudder when I read this description of what Stewart was experiencing at the U of Minnesota School of Dentistry, and I marvel at what he was willing to put up with in order to get inexpensive dental care. But I remind myself that he may not have had any choice. He had no dental insurance, he could not afford the "professional" option, and his teeth were in bad shape.
[iv] The word "not" isn't in the original letter, but I think that is a typo - the sentence doesn't make any sense as written.
[v] We get a lot of details in this paragraph about how the ASTRP program actually worked. It strikes me as a fairly well-thought-out program. It is basic - there are not many "frills" - but it was a real opportunity for a seventeen-year-old.
[vi] OUCH!
[vii] I don't remember this physician's name. I don't think he was our family doctor, whose name was Baker as I recall.  But my memory could easily be faulty.
[viii] What Stewart seems to be saying in this paragraph is that the average citizen doesn't really know how long the war will last, and thus needs to buckle down and do the task at hand; but -  a lot of people aren't willing to do that. This seems to be a kind of rationale for the decisions he has made. I wonder if he was getting some negative reaction to his plans from some quarter?
[ix] This paragraph, which is so formal and deliberate, is sort of a classic example of the way Stewart's mind worked and his way of expressing himself. I have to keep reminding myself that he was only seventeen when he wrote this!


Letter #12:
-->October 9, 1944[i]

Dear Dad,

Even though a half-continent and an ocean separate us on this Christmas physically, nothing can separate us spiritually. The comradeship which we have had together each year on the day commemorating the birth of Christ is something intangible, to be touched by no one else. Looking forward to the next December 25th that we spend together, I wish you and all the men that refer to you as "my chaplain" a very Merry Christmas. [ii]

                                                Your son,
                                                  Stewart


[i] This letter is clearly dated Oct. 9th, but it is wishing dad a Merry Christmas. Either Stewart was really making sure dad got this in time for Christmas - over 2 1/2 months in advance! - or he mis-wrote the date.

[ii] Such a touching note. Dad surely must have wept when he received this!

No comments:

Post a Comment