Thursday, September 27, 2018

Markus Barth Symposium

This symposium has been great. I feel so energized and stimulated by the talks and discussions and as I have heard others describe Markus Barth's influence on them, I have come to realize more deeply how much he actually has shaped my approach to the Bible in ways I was not consciously aware of. We heard four speakers today. The best one for me was tonight, Joseph Small, who was actually an undergraduate at Brown for three years while I was a graduate student there and took some courses in Religious Studies, and then went on to Pittsburgh Theological Seminary where he studied under Markus Barth (Barth left Chicago in 1963 to go to Pittsburgh), so we have a lot in common. He gave a very moving testimony to M. Barth's qualities as a teacher. The other talks were more abstract and theological, but interesting nonetheless, though I do not consider myself anything more than an amateur theologian. Markus Barth was a maverick, and I think there is a consensus that he was sui generis in ways that are not popular or even common today, but also very much needed both in the church and in public life. I am stimulated to want to go back and read more of his work. I had thought before coming here that I had sort of put that phase of my life behind me, but I realize now that there is more of him in my makeup than I thought, and that is a good thing. I find myself wondering how he would approach issues today like, e.g.,  global warming or Israel/Palestinian issues. On the latter I feel pretty sure he would be promoting personal dialogue among Christians, Jews and Muslims - probably along the lines of joint study of the Bible, Torah and Koran! That would be his style. Not sure how many people would sign up for that, but I would. The former is harder to imagine, but I think he would be devastated by human desecration of God's creation.

On the side, I had a chance to talk with M. Barth's daughter, Anna, who is a very lovely person in her own right. The kind of person you just want to know better.  I also had a very productive time in the library here. I actually hope I can come back again in the not too distant future. The only negative in all this is that I give the dining hall here a C- at best, in terms of food quality. Breakfast was ok, but lunch and dinner have been like hotel food at best, and not a very good hotel at that. UMass's dining hall, where we ate with Ben last year, is in another universe by comparison.

Three of our speakers at breakfast

David MacLachlan at the lectern

The Library, where it is all happening

From my perch in the dining hall at dinner tonight. I decided not to photograph my plate of food!

Meanwhile, of course, there were the Kavanaugh hearings today. A religious/legal drama of a very different sort going on in our bizarre National Theater. Sin, guilt, accusation, denial - and redemption? Or not? And with what impact on our national soul?

No comments:

Post a Comment