Friday, September 7, 2018

Anna Maria College

Today, I made a little trip to Anna Maria College in Paxton, MA, about a 45-minute drive from Shutesbury. It is a small, Roman Catholic College, and had some books and periodicals in its library I could not find in the Five College Catalogue. Roman Catholics seem to like my work. I think one reason for that is that my dissertation opened up the idea of table fellowship between Jews and Gentiles in the early church, and this relates to Roman Catholic interest in Eucharistic theology. In any case, I found several books there that I had not previously been aware of, that cited my work. So that was a productive trip.

I had hoped Ellen could come too, but she needed to stay at K&S's to help out because Savanna went to the M.D.s' today because she has been very uncomfortable in a number of ways not directly related to her ankle. She seems to be resting a bit more comfortably now. Tye is here, and has been helping out a bit too. Katie and Brendon have gone off to a camp-out in the backyard of First Church's minister, Vickie. Katie is in charge of music. She and Brendon will spend the night in a tent. We'll be here tonight and then go up to Brattleboro tomorrow for a Hallowell event and then stay at home tomorrow night so as to be able to go to church at Dummerston Sunday where I will lead choir.

Earlier this week I made a foray into the UMass campus to visit the W. E. B. DuBois Library - a 24-story building. But even with all those floors of books, its holdings related to the gospel of Luke were sort of pathetic - both small and old. So I found virtually nothing of interest there. But that day was dominated not by the library, but by the fact that I had a flat tire on campus. I had to pull over into a bus-stop and get out the spare. I have AAA coverage, but I did not have the cell phone with me, so it was useless. However, a UMass undergrad stopped and asked if I needed help and I said "yes." He ended up doing most of the work very cheerfully. So I went to the library (a twenty-minute walk!) for a bit - didn't need to stay long since so little was there - and then went looking for a tire place. I found Hadley Tire, and discovered the tire was shot and since I have all-wheel drive, needed four new tires. At least I allowed myself to be convinced of that. I tend to do the max because of our frequent long road trips. I don't want to have car trouble somewhere in the middle of nowhere in Kansas.

The Library at Anna Maria College

No comments:

Post a Comment