Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Hamlin and Anamosa, IA

Today we drove from Kearney, NE to Dixon, IL. On the way, we stopped for lunch at a Road Food restaurant called Darrell's Place in the tiny hamlet of Hamlin, IA., which is about 90 miles west of Des Moines. It is famous esp. for its sandwiches, pies and home-made root beer. We each had a tenderloin sandwich, Ellen had a root beer float and I had rhubarb pie. All met expectations.

200 miles down the road or so we stopped to see Betty Remley in my old home town of Anamosa. Betty is 98 and sharp as a tack. She was choir director in my father's church when I was in high school! It is always lovely to visit with her. This time I was able to play a recording of my mother and father for her and she was very moved to hear their voices again after 60 years or so. 

                    Darrell's Place - a fairly non-descript exterior

                                      Ditto interior

                        The founders, Darrell and Marilyn Munch

                                 The root beer float 

                             Betty Remley and me


We'll be in Bartlett tomorrow late morning.



No comments:

Post a Comment