Thursday, December 5, 2019

Stewart Letter #18


Note: This letter is the first one Stewart has written on "official" ASTU stationery, which was supplied to him and others free of charge.

Letter #18 Nov. 30 and Dec 5, 1944


Letterhead stationery images
Dear Mother,
The time has seemed to pass so quickly since I have been here that I have gotten used to the routine without realizing it, although I will never become so accustomed that I would not want to return to civilian life. The army has its representatives here: four sergeants, two first lieutenants, one captain, and, until recently, a colonel.

Today we had a turkey dinner, and Charles Bruning and I are going out to Thanksgiving dinner this evening. I was surprised to find anyone here who knew anyone that I knew. Mr. and Mrs. Ferris2 were very hospitable, even taking pictures of us and records of our voices.3 By the way, Charles Bruning is a good friend of mine from a Congregational Church in North Dakota whom I met at Ft. Leavenworth on Nov. 2. He was supposed to have arrived the day before, but his orders did not come soon enough for such a long distance. I met Raymond Flynn, the boy from Chelsea, Iowa, when I got off the train at Leavenworth. He got on the same train at Marshalltown.4

Charles goes with me to church but doesn't sing in the choir. The service is broadcast over KFAB, what kilocycles, I do not know. The weather here for about two weeks was very rainy, and then the temperature went down and snow fell in large quantities. Now we have ice everywhere, and snow on top of it. The cold is easily noticeable even on a short walk over to the student union, where we eat chow. There is a radio in the large lounge and Dayton's 

Notes:
1  This letter was written in two stages. Cf. paragraph four. 
2  Stewart calls these hosts "Ferris" but in par. 4 the hosts are called "Harris." Since this is probably the same family, I'm not sure which name is correct. If I went to the archives of the Congregational Church in Lincoln (if they exist), I could probably figure this out.
3 This tells us that this family was fairly well-to-do, because any kind of home recording equipment in 1944 was expensive. I don't think cassette tape recorders existed then, so this recording was probably on a plastic disk.

4 Information about Charles Bruning and Ray Flynn is in the notes to Letter #17 in a previous blog.
Memorial Chimes5 is frequently tuned in, when the boys stretch out on the furniture at about 7:15 after breakfast. 

                                         Page 2

This part of the letter that I am now beginning is being written on Dec.5, so you can see how rushed I am. We were invited to the Harris home for Sunday dinner on Dec. 3 again, but Chuck could not go, so I went alone. They are more generous than I deserve.

One-third of our first term is now over, and we have had our four-weeks tests. It is possible to flunk out at the end of four weeks, or twelve weeks, if one is bad enough. 

I am lucky that I got in when I did, or else a month later, because beginning in the January classes, no one beginning can have more than two terms, no matter how close to seventeen. In fact, anyone not enlisted in the ERC (the ACER is closed, as is the Air Corps) by Jan 1, and unable to begin classes by March 1, cannot get into the ASTRP at all. 

I will need no stationery, as this upon which I am writing was given to me by the office (Regimental Headquarters), as was to everyone else.

I have received the bathrobe, ping-pong paddles and balls. You needn't have sent all four paddles and six balls, since I must now loan the extras to others when I am not using them to play doubles.

Don't worry about my minding your opening my letters from Daddy. It would be different if you were not my Mother and he not my Father. 

On Dec. 23, Saturday, we get off at 13:00, and we must be present at Reveille on Dec. 26, Tuesday, at 6:15. If I can find a way of getting there and back in time, and be able to stay there 24 hours, I shall do it, unless the cost, as by airplane, is prohibitive. 

The church is beautiful, rather on the lines of the Capitol, which has a large base, and a single tower reaching for the sky from that, much like the Foshay Tower.9 Don't worry about my reporting for Sick Call when I feel ill, because I know that i'm not paying for it, and usually i would not miss much in the way of classes unless I had a temperature, which would send me to quarters. 

Notes:
5 Dayton's was a big department store in Minneapolis - the "Macy's" of Minneapolis. I'm not sure what "Memorial Chimes" refers to, but it could have been a radio program broadcast by Dayton's. It is very possible that Dayton's had their own radio station.

6 I'm guessing that Stewart doesn't mean this personally but reflects his feeling that as a college student in the ASTRP he isn't really making a big sacrifice as a member of the military. He's actually being paid to go to college, and that might have made him feel that he doesn't deserve any special treatment. And as he implies in the next paragraphs, he feels very lucky that he got in at all, because the program is closing down - he got in just "under the wire."

7 This in one of several places in this letter where Stewart is obviously responding to something mother had said in an earlier letter sent to him. In fact, virtually every paragraph after this one seems to be referring to something she had said.

8 Knowing mother, she probably felt badly that she might have inadvertently caused Stewart some inconvenience by sending him too many paddles and balls.

9 See letter #17 in a previous blog for photos of the church, the capitol, and the Foshay Tower. 

                                                                Page 3:
Our teeth were given a preliminary examination here at the Library, and the examiner mentioned my nice inlays! Last Saturday, the 2nd, I was ordered to the Lincoln Air Base to have my teeth serviced. In fifteen minutes, a captain drilled two cavities , one porcelain, and one amalgam. I go again tomorrow. the fellows who have some very bad teeth really suffer, but I don't have to worry because my fillings are all in good condition, and I have merely a few little cavities in front.10 


I miss you and Larry a lot, too, although I have about forty new friends that take my mind off of the fact quite a bit. Generally, this is not a bad life, since all the necessities of life are provided, but we must work to earn it.
I do not have to miss the (Sunday) evening program entirely, for I can go after 21:00 to the church and roller skate until 22:30, when the activities cease. Bedcheck occurs every night at 23:15. 

Mr. Fessler seems to be getting more than his share of bad breaks. the real issue, however, is whether he can retain himself despite all adversity.11

There are four Coca-Cola machines in the day room, which is about twenty feet from our barracks door, and several varieties of candy bars are usually on sale in the office, also on second. 

I have not as yet sent my civilian clothes home, because a sergeant said not to, for what would a fellow wear if he were sent home? Several fellows, however, have gone home and they just sent home for their clothes.12 Besides, I do not intend to leave in that manner.13 

Clayton Dalrymple, one of the graduates of M.H.S,14 1944, is now on furlough from here. He started in September, when I would have if I had passed my physical the first time.15 

I enjoy all my classes, and feel amiable toward all the professors. We skip some of the subject matter, since we will complete 1 year of engineering in 24 weeks, whereas the college freshmen would do it in 36. 

Notes:
10 Stewart is obviously feeling that all that dental work done earlier in the summer, at the Univ. of Minn. Dental College, was entirely justified.

11 The Fesslers were active in the Como Church. They had a boy my age, "Chuck," who was a friend. Mrs. Fessler and mother were fairly close friends too. I know mother stayed in touch with her over the years. I don't remember what adversities Mr.Fessler was experiencing, but Stewart's statement about "retaining himself" is another one of his remarkably mature insights for a 17-year-old.

12 Back in that day, clothes could be sent through the mail very cheaply. There were cases made for that very purpose, and they had a special postage rate. Even 6 years later, I regularly sent laundry home from college for mother to do, and it cost about 60 cents for postage to send the case.

13 I. e., he does not intend either to flunk out or be sent home because of infractions of discipline. 14 Marshall High School.

15 The name "Dalrymple" became known to us in the later forties and after: Homer Dalrymple was the minister in Anamosa just before dad arrived in 1946, and his nephew, Dean (or was it Lee?) was minister in Elgin at First Congregational Church (Stewart's church) for several years. I have not been able to find this particular "Clayton Dalrymple" on-line. There is a well-known baseball player of the same name, however. 


                                 Page 4
 
Don't worry about my welfare, since I will be alright, and keep yourself well.

                                                    Your loving son, Stewart


P.S. I am also sending three pictures of myself which were taken at the PX at Ft. Leavenworth. They cost just a quarter apiece, and also they aren't very good pictures. Of course I don't photograph very well.16




Note:
16 These photos have not survived - I assume they were taken in a photo booth, and if so, they would be pretty faded even if they did exist. When I am able, I will attach a photo of mother, Stewart and me, taken in 1944 to send to dad. It will show how we all looked at about the time these letters were being written. 

Larry, Mother,  Stewart, c. 1944 (ages 11, 43 and 17 respectively)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment