Saturday, October 31, 2020

A variety of things

Here we are at October 31st, Halloween! We just had a trick or treat visit from Eliza and Sarah Bergh, with the girls, Phoebe (in a "Tigger" costume), and Maggie (in a bear costume). Ellen was forewarned (we never get trick-or-treaters - too far off the beaten path), and had made up two special bags to hand out  with candy and her own chocolate chip cookies (worth the trip any day!). I forgot to take pictures.    : (

Earlier today I was transcribing my latest conversations with Jerome Holland,  the African-American man at the Guilford Church with whom I have been meeting to create a booklet that will tell the story of his life. I am recording my interviews with him and transcribing them. It has been fascinating! And he is excited that it is happening. I've just created a time-line of his life, based on our interviews,  and we are now going over it and filling in gaps. He is not well, so we are both hoping that we can get it done!

Jerome Holland

Mike Flynn was going to come today to work more on the deck, but we got 2-3 inches of snow and it didn't melt, so I called him and we're now aiming for next Wed. or Thurs. when it will be in the 60's. I will feel a real sense of relief when that job is done and we are back to "normal" with everyone safe and sound. 

Friday morning I had a Zoom meeting with the Windham-Union Association Executive Committee, to plan publicity for the Fall (Zoom) meeting, Nov. 15th. That is the event for which I secured the participation of Dr. Stephen Ray, President of Chicago Theological Seminary (my alma mater, Class of 1957). We would never be able to have him under normal circumstances, but a Zoom meeting makes it easy. Given the uncertainty of the national situation by then, we are asking him to address the question What Now? He is very articulate in matters relating to living out our faith in the "public square," so that should be very interesting. 

President Stephen Ray, Chicago Theological Seminary

Thursday I had an appointment with Dr. Liebow, Podiatrist. I have had a problem with my left foot - heel pain and some swelling - for about a month. Primary thing - stop wearing slippers! Must wear a good quality sneaker indoors as well as out. Maybe also compression socks. It's all about support.  I can start walking again with the sneakers (I had temporarily suspended my daily walk). After my appointment, I went to Sam's Dept. Store in Brattleboro, but they had nothing in a narrow sneaker (I am size 11 1/2 AA but I usually settle for 12 B, which is fine). They kindly put me in touch with Ted's Shoes in Keene. They can supply a New Balance  sneaker in 12 B. They have to order it, however. So next week, I'll have it. They sent a picture:

NB sneaker

Thursday evening was our Swarthmore Course on "Short Stories." This week: Joseph Conrad's The Heart of Darkness. What a story! The writing is "overheated" to say the least. The basic plot: Marlow's (an old Victorian-era British seaman) journey up the river to the heart of the Belgian Congo in search of the mysterious and elusive station master and ivory merchant, "Kurtz." A critique of imperialism, a study in Victorian racism, a metaphor for the relation of civilization to nature, etc., all kinds of resonances with today. This is one of those classic "must-read" stories that I had never read. I learned that the movie Apocalypse Now is based on this story. Did you know that? 

Joseph Conrad

And a while back - did I already write about this? - Katie Tolles accompanied Brendon in his performance of a song that he wrote for a First Church, Amherst,  service (via Zoom). It was powerful and touching.  I can't upload the video, but here is a photo:

Katie and Brendon

That's all for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment