Friday, November 15, 2019

Stewart Letter #15

Note: This is a 4-page letter, originally hand-written in ink, seventy-five years ago yesterday, to dad. Whereas previous letters had been written from our home in Minneapolis, Stewart has now entered the Army, is in the ASTRP Program, and is located at the University of Nebraska in Lincoln, NE. This is his first letter to dad from this new situation. He mailed a letter very similar in content to this one five days later - to mother - Letter #16. However, that letter gives some details and has an emphasis missing from this one. I will post them at roughly the same time.

Letter #15  
Nov. 14, 1944 

Dear Dad, 

Yesterday the tallest half of the 7th platoon acted as "MP's" at the Iowa State-Nebraska game. The shorter half moved the players' benches off the field so the first six platoons could parade with no obstructions. That was the way we managed to be admitted free.

The A.S.T.U. 3709 is stationed in the Love Memorial Library, a new building, not yet having been used as a library. Therefore, the rooms are slightly large, for instance, one hundred boys are in one such great hall with me. That does not bother me, however, because lights are out at 22:00, in fact, I have been getting to sleep more promptly since coming here than before. 

Two curriculums are offered to the new reservist, the N-30 and the B-60. Tests are given here to determine which the reservist is best fitted for. N-30 does not have Chemistry and the math and Physics have more review. 

                                                                      
Notes:
1 Iowa State won this game 19-6. The Omaha World-Herald wrote, A pesky little 164- pounder named Gene Phelps personally conducted Iowa State to a 19-6 football victory over Nebraska’s hard-trying but outclassed Cornhuskers Saturday afternoon. Phelps had been understudy quarterback in all previous Cyclone games, but moved up when the Navy whisked Joe Noble away after last week’s game. So all frisky young Phelps did was score all three of his team’s touchdowns to gain the admiration of 9,500 fans. 


                                                                                -2- 

The B-60 curriculum includes 7 hours of Physics, 6 of History, 6 of Math (both Alg. and Trig.), 5 Chem., and 3 of English. Also we have six hours of Physical Training and 3 of military training per week. I had no trouble getting into B-60, but it is not going to be easy to stay in, not because I don't get enough time to study, for we are required to study from 1900 to 2100 every night except Saturday, and several other times during the day. 

Another fellow was included in the same orders that I received, who is from Iowa. I met him when I got off the train at Leavenworth, Kansas on Nov. 2, when we got our uniforms. He and another boy whom we met at Ft. Leavenworth, are all in the ERC, while most of the reservists training here are ACER. 

I really don't have much time to write letters, since I do not like to start one and finish it at another time, but I have to, because usually we are free only from 12:00 to 1:00, and we have to eat lunch then, and from 6:00 to 7:00, and supper then. Only on Saturdays and Sundays do I have much time outside of studies.

                                                                               -3-

Writing letters, though, is an effective way of combatting homesickness. I would not think of home so much if it were not that I know that I shall not be home for three months, and then only for about 5 days. Also, the conveniences of home, such as having the bathroom close to the bedroom, and the freeedom (comparative) of retiring and working are very desirable. I know now (don't tell this to any of my superior officers) that I shall not enjoy anything in the army except the marching, the free food, clothing, shelter, and schooling itself. If I can gain a few pounds and improve my general physical tone, also I shall have gained something out of my experience in the army. If I do enter some kind of social work, then, too, I will be better able to cope with problems involving veterans.
Now I am getting only a brief description of the news by way of my history teacher. At the beginning of the period he summarizes current events. The slogan, "The way Maine goes, so goes the nation" seems to have backfired again, since that was the first state to go to Dewey. 

                                                                            -4- 

I will get three twelve-week terms in the A.S.T.R.P., although probably they will not all be here at the U.. of N., at least I hope not, because if I have to be away from home, I would like to see more than one place. At any rate, I shall work hard so that I will be offered the best in my next two terms. 

                                                                        Your eldest son, 
                                                                                   Stewart 

Love Memorial Library, Univ. of Nebraska, Lincoln,  NE
 
Another view of the Don L. Love Library. Don Love was the mayor of Lincoln on two separate occasions. He died in 1940 and a posthumous gift to the University made possible the building of this Library, which was named in his honor. As Stewart indicates, the building was used as a dormitory for Army students in the ASTRP before it was used as a library. I have to imagine that it required some renovation to make it fit for a library after its use as a dormitory! It would be interesting to visit it today and get a sense of what it would have been like for Stewart to live there.


Don Lathrop Love
Born: Janesville, WI, Mar. 7, 1863
Party Affiliation: Republican
Died: Lincoln, NE, Sept. 12, 1940
Claremont, IA


No comments:

Post a Comment