Thursday, November 15, 2018

Happy Birthday, Ellen

Today is Ellen's birthday. Happy Birthday, Ellen!  I am one blessed guy!

We have been talking about it and having anticipatory celebrations of it for some time, so, of course, I lost track of the date and forgot to say "Happy Birthday" when we got up this morning! But it was a lovely day anyway, a beautiful drive across Nebraska on a surprisingly mild and sunny day. I read aloud from the book we are reading on the Great Lakes, and we also listened to lectures on Native American history. And we listened to NPR. Tonight we are in Onawa, Iowa at a Super 8. My father was a minister here from 1952 until his death in 1957. I was his assistant here the summer of 1954.

   The church in Onawa my father pastored . Today it is a Bible Baptist Church

Our friend Jerry is dealing with adverse reactions to chemo, so we will be staying with my niece, Suzie McQuen and her husband, Dennis, Friday and Saturday night. I hope we will get to see Jerry and Maggie a bit anyway.

Ellen had to drive a bit longer today than she would have liked - we arrived in Onawa at 8pm. Driving in strange places after dark is not much fun anymore. Thank you, my love!

       On Wednesday, we stopped at the Big Horn Sheep Museum in Dubois, WY. 


An amazing set of horns!
This grizzly bear family became addicted to food provided by humans and eventually were deemed dangerous and were put down and then put on display as a warning to humans to not feed the bears!

Another diorama from the Big Horn Sheep Museum.
In addition to displays, the museum provides field trips into the hills around Dubois to see Big Horn Sheep in the wild.

No comments:

Post a Comment