Friday, August 31, 2018

Mt. Holyoke

Today it was much cooler. A great relief. I went to the Amherst Library today to follow up on some photos I took yesterday that turned out blurred, and while there I ran across an article that I wanted to copy (from Vol. 12 (1965-66) of New Testament Studies - an academic journal), but it was only available at Amherst College as an "electronic resource," and to access it, you needed to have an Amherst College connection. However, it was available at Mt. Holyoke College in their stacks in print form. Mt. Holyoke is part of the Five-College Consortium, and is about a 15-20-minute drive from Amherst, so I went there and found it, and quite a few other things as well. It will be worth another trip to Mt. Holyoke.

Yesterday it was still hot and humid, so I spent much of the day at Amherst College Frost Library. (Appropriate name on a hot day!).  It was frustrating in two ways - several things I wanted to see were not available anywhere in the Amherst area, and secondly, I was tracking down things in the Dead Sea Scrolls and finding that between 1966 and today, the system for labeling and numbering the scrolls had been changed, and I was having a hard time finding what I had referred to in 1966 because my citations were obsolete. But I finally figured it out, and got copies of what I needed. I have discovered that what was called 1QMelchizedek (now 1Q13) is very important for my thesis, but I did not know about it back in 1966. It hadn't quite come over the horizon yet. So that is an area I need to get on top of.

Mt. Holyoke College Library was buzzing with new students today. They were giving tours. I managed to slip in and do my work without attracting too much attention.

The lobby of the Mt. Holyoke College Library

No comments:

Post a Comment