Thursday, July 14, 2016

We 're ok

Ellen and I are in Boise, ID. But I need to go back. My last blog, I was in a little bungalow in Boulder with John. That was Monday, now it is Thursday. The basic story is that after 3 1/2 weeks of front line duty and sleepless nights, Ellen "hit the wall," and I wasn't far behind. She left Friday; I stayed long enough to see John onto the bus to the Denver airport Monday afternoon, and Ellen drove down from Alpine Monday and picked me up in Boulder Monday eve. By the way, the bungalow owner's daughter never materialized. The Nederland fire is gradually being brought under control, and I guess she did not need to evacuate.

John and I said our goodbyes to Betsey, Rob and Katie Monday noon. That was painful beyond words. 

Ellen and I spent Monday night in a motel in Ft. Collins. That did not work out well. The bed sagged and the AC was impossible to control. I slept very little. But Tuesdsy morning we happened on a wonderful restaurant, Vern's, in LaBlanc (I think that was the town ), we had a very good breakfast, and that lifted our spirits. Somehow, Ellen managed to drive us back to Alpine, and we got there close to 10pm. We both got a good night's sleep there Tuesday night. We would have stayed, but Paul and Jenny were hosting Jenny's aunt and her family for a couple of days starting Wednesday, so we took the offer of friends of the lovely loft here in Boise. A bit more driving, but it was actually a beautiful day, a lovely drive, I read aloud from a Masie Dobbs mystery much of the way, and the miles flew by.

So here we are. We trust Betsey is in good hands, with Rob, Katie, Emma, and the Hospice team all involved. We are taking it a day at a time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment