Saturday, June 25, 2016

Finally, a little walk

Today, Betsey has been sleeping much of the day and I took the opportunity for a  little walk - about 2 miles, r.t.  It was warm but breezy, so I was quite comfortable.

The walk goes along a road through the area where the big forest fire took place about seven years ago. 

           Unlike West Virginia, no flash floods here today! 

I noted and photographed the following wild flowers:

                 This is definitely Yellow Stonecrop


And this is Soapweed Yucca which Native Americans used for soap (roots), food (petals) and rope (leaves). 

               This, I'm pretty sure, is Penstemon

                                        This is Bindweed .....

                           .... and this is Prickly Rose.

    This could be Mountain Parsley but I'm not sure, and this ....

        ..... This is probably.  Buckwheat

After my walk I made a shopping run to get shrimp for supper, some cold cereals, milk, and fresh veggies, including a Napa cabbage, which was new to me. As the main shopper now, I'm learning a lot!

Rob spent a lot of time trying to get a prescription filled for Betsey - a stronger pain med. He made repeated calls to both the M.D.'s office and Walgreens - but no luck. It finally was revealed that the weekend doc did not have the proper code # for this particular opioid - so the order was denied. So Betsey is yet another victim of the problems and solutions around opioid addiction and prescription abuse. 

Betsey woke up late this afternoon, talked briefly with Katie via FaceTime, and had a bit of strawberry shortcake, which she enjoyed. I gave her the latest Laurie King mystery for her birthday, and read two chapters aloud, which she also enjoyed, but that was enough. Rob grilled the shrimp, which we had with slaw - delicious! I had gotten fresh raspberries yesterday and Ellen made a bit of raspberry shortcake for us with the leftover biscuits. 

Soon to bed. It is cool and it should be good for sleeping. For Betsey too, we hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment