Friday, December 22, 2023

Happy Solstice!

Earlier this week it was raining hard - parts of Vermont had serious flooding again. And now eight sunny days in a row with highs in the 30's and 40's! Not a white Christmas this year! Yesterday was the Solstice, and yesterday there was a Taizé sing at Guilford Church which I helped plan and was intending to be present for, but I stayed home. Why? Last Monday I aspirated a pill which caused the inflamation of my lung. I had to go to Urgent Care and then the ER for an X-ray. Since then I've been coughing up mucus a lot. I didn't think coughing and Taizé mixed well. As it happened, few people came, and hardly any men singers. My presence probably would not have made much difference in the singing. Ellen took my place for some readings. Last Saturday we went to a Solstice party at Katie's; Sunday morning was the Christmas Pageant at Guilford; Monday was Tom Ragle's funeral. I was giving the Homily at the funeral. That was the morning I went to the ER. I didn't think I would get to the funeral- which started at 1:30p.m., and I made several calls alerting people to that possibility. But miraculously, I was released from the ER at 12:30p.m., and felt well enough to go. I actually was able to speak reasonably well and without coughing - the coughing came later. So that was amazing.
Brendon participating in a ritual at the Solstice party on Saturday - the party started outside with a fire, singing and ritual and then moved inside for refreshments and more singing.
Others around the solstice fire.
The coffee hour after the Pageant Sunday morning. Ellen had two huge events to prepare -this Christmas Coffee Hour and the reception after Tom's service, which was "over-the top!"
Angels at the Pageant.
The Three Kings offering gifts at the Christmas Pageant, with Joseph, Mary and shepherds in the background. Baby Jesus was a doll.
Delivering the Homily at Tom Ragle's funeral service - actually it was called a "Celebration of his life."

No comments:

Post a Comment