Monday, July 4, 2022

What can we celebrate today?

Yesterday, Lea Morris, an African-American woman song-writer and choral leader was the guest choir director at the Guilford Community Church, and as a part of the service, she sang the song "When I Wake Up in America" by David Kinnoin and Jimmy Hammer. It has a very hopeful message which Ellen felt deeply and wrote about to her friends. Thank you Ellen for this insight! The song is celebrating what many feel is the original intent of the phrase in the Declaration of Independence: "All men are created equal" = All PEOPLE, of every kind, no matter what, are created equal." It originally was just white, wealthy men who were equal, but gradually the list has lengthened, and even though today we seem to the slipping backward, it is still a worthy dream and aspiration that EVERYONE should be respected, treated fairly, cared for, etc., in America. We can still celebrate that. Here are the lyrics: WAKE UP IN AMERICA words and music by Jimmy Hammer and Dave Kinnoin ©2016 Sync Track (ASCAP) and Song Wizard Music (ASCAP) 1 When I wake up in America, I see my neighbors there With every kind of clothes and shoes, Hats and skin and hair, Every strange belief and custom, Scores of songs from who knows where. When I wake up in America, Our stories fill the air. Chorus: Wake up. Wake up. Wake up in America. The light in the harbor shines for us all When I wake up in America. 2 When I wake up in America, I hold my head up high. I find my way as others do Beneath the same big sky. I repeat the pledge of allegiance In a voice that’s clear and strong. When I wake up in America, I’m right where I belong. (repeat chorus) bridge: See the kids, see the kids playing. Happily, happily swaying. Good to be, good to be staying In a place like this With a face like this. 3 When I wake up in America, I put away my fear And love my neighbor as myself And say, “I’m glad you’re here.” We have found ourselves together In a land we dreamed could be. When we wake up in America, Everybody will be free. Chorus Wake up. Wake up. Wake up in America. The light in the harbor shines for us all When I wake up, When you wake up, When we wake up in America.
Lea Morris, guest choir deirector at the Guilford Community Church, sang "Wake Up In America" yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment