Sunday, February 2, 2020

Good choir!

The choir sang Children of the Heavenly Father this morning in church, and they sounded good! It turned out to be a challenging piece of music. I had arranged it back in the late 1980's for the Guilford Church choir, and had not used it since, so it was a kind of resurrection. It involves close harmony in four parts for both women and men, and the choir was not accustomed to that. But they worked hard at it, and we had a great turnout  this morning - 15 in all, I think, counting Mary Westbrook-Geha and myself, which is really good. John recorded it from his pew and it sounds great.

Now we are at Katie & Savanna's to watch the SuperBowl. We've had great snacks! I have no oar in this game but I favor Kansas City because I consider them the underdog because they haven't been in the SuperBowl since 1970. And now they are winning, 31-20. I went to Kansas City back in 1974 and had contact with Jan Stenerud, who was an outstanding kicker for the KC Chiefs.  I was there for a a workshop with Richard Bolles, author of What Color Is Your Parachute. It was a workshop in Career/Life Planning. We were sent out to prove to ourselves we could make contacts in a strange place based on common interests. I shared an interest with Jan Stenerud in cross-country skiing. Back then I did a lot of cross-country skiing. Jan Stenerud had some connection with the only cross-country ski shop in Kansas City. I went there but Jan was out on the football field. The staff at the store gave me his number! I don't think I ever talked to him, but I could have. So I guess I proved the point. All of this was part of Bolles' philosophy of networking in search of a job. If I had actually met Jan Stenerud, my ace-in-the-hole would have been that I knew Bill Koch. Bill was already a well-known X-country skier in 1974 and went on to  win the silver medal in X-C at the 1976 Winter Olympics, the first American to medal in that sport. His mother, Nancy Ragle, was very active in the Guilford Church, which is why I knew him.

Jan Stenerud
Bill Koch

The SuperBowl game at K&S's

























No comments:

Post a Comment